Transfer Students

Transfers choose Milligan because of our excellent academics, welcoming Christian community, small classes and personal attention, generous scholarships and financial aid, and the easy and comfortable transition. If you have the following, contact our Transfer Counselor, who can walk you through the transfer application process:

  • Completed 24 or more college credit hours after high school graduation at the time of application to Milligan College  (If you are a working adult age 24+, you might consider our Adult Degree Completion Program)
  • In good standing at an accredited college or university
  • At least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
  • Shown evidence of Christian commitment and academic potential

Free Transcript Review

College credits from most accredited two- and four-year institutions are widely transferable to Milligan College. Send us your transcript(s) and our Registrar will review them and get you a free evaluation of what credits will transfer to Milligan. Read more about our Transfer Credit Policy »


Tennessee Community Colleges

transfer_logoMilligan participates in the Tennessee Transfer Pathways program, whereby students completing associate degree programs in certain programs at Tennessee community colleges can transition seamlessly to Milligan College as a junior.

We also have an A.A./A.S. Transfer Agreement with Tennessee Community Colleges that helps Transfers meet Milligan’s general education requirements.

Learn more about these and other agreements »


Competitive Transfer Scholarships

Transfer students with a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 and above may apply for an additional $4,000 transfer scholarship. Milligan aid packages (in addition to state and federal aid) may vary up to $20,000 per year and are awarded based on a combination of academic merit, service experience, and financial need. Students must enroll full-time in the traditional undergraduate program. Athletic recruits, performing arts scholarship recipients, Adult Degree Completion students, or those with previous bachelor’s degrees are not eligible for the competitive transfer awards. To renew a second year, a GPA of 2.5 at full-time status must be maintained at Milligan College. To apply:

  1. Submit an Application for Admission to Milligan and indicate you are a Transfer
  2. Complete the Transfer Scholarship Application  (a resume of campus and community involvement and an essay are part of the scholarship application). Deadline June 1.
  3. Have your FAFSA results sent to Milligan


Merit Scholarships

Merit-based scholarships for transfer students are offered based on your transferring GPA. Contact the Admissions Office for details. Below are scholarship amounts for Fall 2016.

$5,500   2.5-2.74
$7,500 2.75-2.99
$8,500 3.0-3.49*
$9,500 3.5-3.74
$10,500 3.75 & above

*Athletes must have a 3.0 GPA or higher to receive both transfer merit and athletic scholarships.


PHI THETA KAPPA Scholarships

A limited number of $1,000 PTK Scholarships may be awarded to high-achieving community college transfer students in addition to the Transfer Merit Scholarship and need-based aid. Funding is limited so apply early. Eligibility:

  • New transfer students with current membership in Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
  • GPA of 3.5 or higher with completion of at least 40 transferable credit hours
  • Part-time students and students with previous bachelor’s degrees are not eligible
  • Students offered PTK Scholarship may qualify for a Milligan Transfer Scholarship and need-based aid; other Milligan aid (athletic, Goah, personnel grant, Jeanes, etc.) may not be combined with PTK
  • To renew a second year, a GPA of 3.0 at full-time status must be maintained at Milligan College

Need-Based Aid

You can also transfer your federal and state (including Tennessee Hope Scholarships) aid programs to Milligan. Visit our SFS page or contact us to see details and what other aid you might qualify for.


We have a payment plan to help make budgeting easier for you and your family.

Office of Admissions

Steps to Apply

Milligan honors a rolling admission policy, which means the admission committee will consider applications throughout the year, as long as space is available. However, we encourage students to apply early for maximum scholarship and financial aid consideration. Also please note there are some academic and scholarship programs with specific dates and deadlines.

Students who wish to transfer from an accredited college who merit a letter of good standing will be considered for admission. Applicants must furnish official transcripts of all previous college work. If a transfer student has earned 24 or more college credit hours, the ACT or SAT-I scores and high school transcripts are not required.

  1. APPLICATION: Complete and submit your official application. 
  2. TRANSCRIPT: Request that a copy of your transcript from high school and all previous college work be sent to Milligan. If you have earned 24 or more college credit hours, the high school transcript is not required. Electronic transcripts through Parchment and other online services accepted. 
  3. TEST SCORES: Request that official ACT and/or SAT-I scores be sent directly to Milligan (ACT code: 3996, SAT-I code: 1469). If you have earned 24 or more college credit hours, the ACT and/or SAT-I scores are not required.

REFERENCES will be required from transfer students with a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.5 or below. One academic reference and one church/character reference will be required.  You will be notified if these are required of you.

Next Steps

AFTER YOU APPLY, your Admission Counselor will communicate with you regularly about your application file and status. Admission decisions are usually made within two weeks of application. If you qualify for an Academic Scholarship, you’ll find that out right away, too.

Once admitted, be sure to visit our ADMITTED STUDENTS page for the next steps to receive maximum financial aid and to secure your spot in the class and campus housing.